This year’s VLF Conference will be held on February 26 and 27 at the Four Points Sheraton in Richmond for Virginia’s nonprofit literacy organizations. Last year’s conference was bigger than ever, and this year we plan to provide enough workshop rooms to accommodate that growth. Registration will start officially in November.
Until then, we will provide regular updates on this blog! Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions.
Ginger Hilleary and Mary Cragun, Conference Chairs
Victoire Sanborn, Literacy Specialist,VLF
Opening speaker, Dr. Anita Prince, who will facilitate an exciting 2-hour workshop demonstrating contextualized instruction. Workshops on
- student recruitment and retention,
- a demonstration of videos that explicitly teach low level students how to create a microsoft document or excell spreadsheet,
- a Q&A session with Virginia’s GED administrator and training for GED teachers available through VALRC,
- a successful approach to teaching multi-level learners (from the very lowest literacy level on up) using professional staff and tutors,
- how Goodwill’s job training and education programs and adult literacy organizations can find ways to collaborate with each other to benefit their students,
- using apps and mobile devices to help students practice the skills they learned in the classroom,
- finding facts and statistics to use in grants and regional presentations, and
- how an E.D. and Board Chair can work positively on their communication skills to strengthen their programs.