The Nancy Jiranek Award recognizes the outstanding accomplishments of executive directors of community-based literacy organizations. Award recipients exemplify the best in nonprofit management by continually contributing to the profession and field through their own programs, collaboration with other organizations, and the strong impact of their work on their clients and within the community.
Criteria for selection include:
- Length of service as Executive Director is a minimum of two full fiscal years
- The organization has achieved several strategic goals in the past full fiscal year
- Collaborations with other organizations are meaningful and integrated
- Evidence of program improvement is demonstrated
- Accurate data collection is a priority; use of this information to strengthen programs and services is evident
Award recipients are chosen by Mrs. Jiranek’s family and members of the Virginia Literacy Foundation Board of Directors and staff. The award recipients are:
- 2011: Kim Sells, Literacy Volunteers of Prince William County
- 2010: Janet Booth and Linda Richardson, Eastern Shore Literacy Council
- 2009: Annette Loschert, Literacy Volunteers of Roanoke Valley
- 2008: Patricia Donnelly, Literacy Council of Northern Virginia
Funds for this award are raised by the Jiranek family and their friends.