Program Standards for Literacy Organizations
The VLF board and select volunteer executive directors created this document for Virginia’s community-based literacy organizations to guide their staff and board of directors. Click on the program standards link. to view all 22 pages. Program Standards-VLF
Websites – Literacy Program Management
- How to Start an Adult Literacy Program, Virginia Literacy Foundation. This resource includes links to community-based literacy program start-ups, and faith-based, ESOL, library-based, and GED start-up programs.
- Facts and Statistics for Adult Education and Literacy Programs in Virginia and the U.S. Updated yearly, this resource was developed for grant writers and program managers by the VLF.
- Managing a Literacy Program, Literacy Works, Chicago. This online resource includes the following topics: Build and Manage a Literacy Program; Development/Fundraising Resources; Manage Volunteers; Recruit Volunteers (Chicago); and Retaining Students.
- Planning an Adult Literacy Program, Community Tool Box, University of Kansas. Author Phil Rabinowitz spent nearly 20 years in adult education, 13 of those helping to found and run The Literacy Project, a community based adult literacy program in western Massachusetts. He considers program management to be collaborative and thinks of “adult literacy as an extremely broad endeavor which embraces education, learner empowerment, and social change.”
- Program Management, Florida Literacy Coalition. This site includes links to program management as well as manager/administrator resources, such as the Program Manager’s Toolkit.
Websites – General Nonprofit
- Free Management Library, Carter McNamara Authenticity Consulting, LLC. A broad, thorough, and comprehensive resource for all aspects of nonprofit management.
- National Council of Nonprofits Tools and Resources. Curated online resources.
- What Should Your Fund Development Plan Include? The Nonprofit Quarterly gives nonprofit organizations beneficial strategic advice. Click here to read the article.